Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Running My Blues Away


"Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down until it goes away"

-Mark Twain



I cannot believe I am actually saying this, but I am enjoying running!!

The quote above used to be my mantra, I used to admire the sunny day from inside my house, in my uggies and with my books and t.v.

Now I've been running, and the days have been so sunny, I'm finding myself outside more and more.

It all began one depressing night in June, when I tried on my wedding dress, and the worst horror that could ever befall a bride before her wedding day happened, it didn't fit... My dress did not zip up!!! Holy crap, I put on weight, how did this happen?!

I'll tell you how it happened. I'd finished uni two weeks prior to this day, exams and study over I spoilt myself, eating my favourite chocolate, Cadburys Caramel Mousse, eating approximately three or four blocks a week, usually consuming a whole block in one day, to add to that my mantra and my love of all things indoors. 

It was the middle of winter so good reason for staying indoors.

So there began my journey to lose weight. But how was I going to do this? I am a picky eater and hated exercising!!!

Insert my big sis A, she had previously done two running programs, and 9km run last year and a 21km run the start of 2012. Yes she jogged the whole 21km, it blows my mind that she did that!!

So she insisted I join this group, the group she'd trained with to do her fun runs, Cantoo. 

Me in my Cantoo shirt and running gear
Cantoo is a not-for-profit organisation that raises money for cancer, they have charity runs, but not only this, they train you as well!! So if you haven't run a day in your life, (and I hadn't aside from quick burst of racing to get shotgun) they have programs that help you gradually increase your stamina and develop your own style of running.

I am currently in week 7 of the 10 week program, the big run 9km run is on the 16th of September, I've lost about three kilos, and you guessed it, my dress fits!!

A huge relief that was, pulling that dress on, with all the fear in the world that my dieting and training had not done enough, but alas my fears were unfounded. It fit, and now its the long run to the altar, and the fun run.

A huge thank you to my sister A, she is an inspiration and she ran 21km and lost 14kg. She has a completely new outlook on life and is looking fabulous. Thanks sis!!

Linking this post up with Flog Your Blog Friday

12 comments:

  1. this is awesome! you've almost inspired me to start running.............almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you should Em!! They have pod's, as in Cantoo Pods, where you can train with them. Seriously 9km program is really easy and a great way to start running. Look it up, cantoo.org.au, maybe join at the start of next year, they run two programs a year. The only thing is you have to raise 800 dollars, but it all goes straight into research, and they get researches out to talk to you about where your fundraising money is going too, etc. It's a great way to meet friend, there is also a fun swim, so they have a program that enables you to swim distances you couldnt before, incase you more inclined to swim.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate you make it sound so doable, reading this is actually quite timely for me I am going to start trying to run on Monday! I joined the 12wbt so keep your fingers crossed I don't have an asthma attach and die ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is doable!! As long as you run at your own pace and not someone else's. Run to a time or a distance, you just have to learn you running pace and stick to it! Good luck with your running!! Hope it turns out great

      Delete
  4. oh I LOVE Cantoo I always see them running in all the races and they look like they do a fantastic high profile job. Really admire you for loving running - I struggle with 'loving' it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pip, yeah I never thought I would enjoy it either, I'm very much a couch potato, but my sister got involved and it was awesome to see her transformation and Cantoo do such a great job in helping to raise money for cancer!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, go you!!! I saw a group of Cantoo runners in my neighbourhood yesterday morning and they had so much energy! Looks like you're going great guns and good luck with the 9km run! (I don't think you'll need it, though :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, you find in a group like cantoo that whether your really tired or had a bad week, its hard not to be positive when you've got so many encouraging people around you!! Thanks for the luck, we ran 8km on saturday just passed, only 1 more k and I'm at the target, Yay bring on race day lol, 20 days to go.

      Delete
  6. I am so proud of you and A! I so want to do it too but it's just not convenient with Mia at the moment. But I have been walking at least 4 times a week for about an hour and doing 4 or more kms each time so that's not bad. Maybe next year when Mia is a little older I might do one with A, can't have my little sisters' outdoing me! Now we just have to get E off the fags and eating healthy and running too! Or at least walking! Lol! Bring on the run and bring on December! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I laughed out loud when you said 'off the fags'. Yeah you should, maybe go on their website and see if they have a pod in your area, you can convince Kelly or someone to do it with you that would be cool! I know I cant wait for Dec, almost 3 months to go!

      Delete
  7. Wow, cantoo sound great. I just had a look at their website. I wish they had a group in Newcastle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are really great at what they do, they give great support and it's for all fitness levels, it doesn't matter how little you've run and what age you are it's just getting together, meeting new people, and developing a new habit!! Yeah it is a bit sucky there aren't more pods around aus, I have to travel an hr from home to attend the wed night and saturday morning sessions, but it's worth it! Only 20 days till race day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...