Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Help

First on my blog I shall write about the book I am currently half way through. 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, this was recently made into a movie, which I did not get the chance to see but I do want to in the future. When I hear a movie is being made from the book I always like to read the book first and then watch the movie, see how they've brought the book to life.

It's set in the 1960's, during the civil rights movements, and follows the life of three women, two coloured women who are maids in white women's homes, as well as a white woman who wants to be a journalist instead of settle for the role of a housewife and mother. She begins to write about the lives of these two coloured ladies, both of which do not feel safe doing so, as physical harm to coloured people was not an un usual occurrence.

The story develops and we see more and more of their lives and the people who fill them, both the sad and the happy, the anger inducing and the tear jerking, moments that add up together to describe the terrible time that was before the civil rights movements, before Martin Luther King Jr, made a mark.

Now too finish up I shall finish the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...